Friday 3 August 2012

Post-Op Check-up Thumbs Up!

Today it is already 8 weeks since my surgery and yesterday I had my post-op check-up at the hospital to find out if the replacement valve is working as well as it should be.

It was quite an expedition in itself for me, as I travelled into London by train, met my husband at his workplace and then we went by tube and by foot to the hospital. I was expecting that it would be really difficult to travel in London because of the Olympics, but it was reasonably quiet.

We saw many Olympics volunteers, noticable due to their distinctive uniform and all the bright pink direction signs on the station platforms really made me wish that I was going to an Olympic event.

At the hospital it went as out-patient check-ups usually do - lots of hurrying about between different departments & sites to get tests done, before rushing back to get in the queue to see the consultant. I had an ECG (very quick as usual), an ECHO (very slow as usual - as well as slightly uncomfortable, as my chest is still very tender) and a blood test to check my iron levels.

The best thing about the out-patients' waiting room was the TV showing the Olympics, but we didn't get much viewing done as the consultant called my name after just a few minutes.

Basically, all is going well with the valve - it is working properly. There is no fluid around the heart, no infection in the wound and there are no arrhythmias.

I just need to continue my recovery by taking it easy, but by building up what I can do until I am back to normal.  This means I can drive, start doing normal household tasks (but still no heavy lifting!) and starting thinking about when I will be ready to go back to work and to prepare for that.

For the first time since about 2004, I left a check-up feeling positive and up-beat! Long may that continue!

No comments:

Post a Comment