Tuesday 15 May 2012

The Countdown Begins...!

On 30th May 2012 I am scheduled to have the pulmonary valve in my heart replaced at the Royal Brompton Hospital in London.

I have a congenital heart defect called Tetralogy of Fallot, which was fully repaired in 1975 but, as is common with this particular defect, over time the valve starts to leak and then it needs to be replaced.

This weekend I've received confirmation by letter of the date of the operation and so the countdown begins - two weeks to go.

I hope that this blog will record my thoughts and feelings during the Countdown as well as my thoughts and feelings during my recovery, which according to reports is usually long and hard. I'm expecting to be on sick leave for about 3 months.

Which leaves plenty of time to enjoy the summer, watch the football (European Championships) and also take in the Olympics in London on the tv.

So far I feel excited that I finally have a date for surgery - given that I was first told I would need surgery about 5 years ago. I have received so many good wishes from my friends and colleagues, from others who've had similar surgery and so, all in all, I feel quite positive.

I'm scared about the thought of all that pain and the restrictions on being able to move about and just not being able to do the things I normally do. On the other hand, as my recovery continues, I hope to be to do a lot MORE than I can do at the moment and, ultimately, to be able to get back into proper exercise and fitness. Here's to that!


No comments:

Post a Comment