Wednesday 30 May 2012

The Waiting Continues....

Today at this time I was supposed to be in the operating theatre having my pulmonary valve replaced, but unfortunately my wait goes on, as an emergency case had to take priority over my surgery.

So, I'm still at home...waiting.

I'd just left work on Monday for what I thought would be the last time for a long while, ready to go up to London the following day.  When I got out of the car outside my house, I realised I had a voicemail and there it was, the bed co-ordinator apologising profusely that my operation would be delayed.

I called the hospital immediately and took their alternative date for surgery (Friday 8th June) without hesitation.

I've decided to take some annual leave from work until then, as I'm just not in the right frame of mind to go back to work...unless the surgery gets postponed once again, and then there will be no choice.

I was very disappointed, as I felt I was as ready as I could be to face the surgery and yet, here we go, another 9 days to wait. It feels strangely like a reprieve, yet I know that, in a few days' time, I'll be as anxious as I was on Monday, before I got that voicemail at 12.20pm.

My parents are staying with us and so that is a distraction, as will be the Queen's Jubilee celebrations this weekend. We'll probably have a barbecue and enjoy what is left of the lovely weather, and try to avoid thinking about surgery until after the bank holidays!

No comments:

Post a Comment